Utagawa Hiroshige (1797–1858)
Hall of Thirty-three Bays (Sanjūsangendō), Fukagawa
From the series One Hundred Famous Views of Edo
Japan, Edo period (1615–1868), 1857
Woodblock print; ink and color on paper
Gift of James A. Michener, 1991
This building, constructed in 1642 as part of Eitaiji Temple, was based upon a structure of the same name in Kyoto City. The Kyoto site, however, is a strictly Buddhist facility that possesses a phenomenal collection of 1,001 statues of Kannon (Chinese: Guanyin), the bodhisattva of mercy. By contrast, this hall was largely stripped of its religious purpose and functioned predominately as an archery range.
View info on museum database (enabled through support by the Robert F. Lange Foundation)